I woke up to 15 missed calls and the worst headache of my life. Panic set in as I realized two things simultaneously:
1. I wasn’t supposed to be in my bed at home.
2. My early-morning flight to Bengaluru, for my first ever high-stakes client presentation had taken off without me.
You see, the night before, I was on edge. My manager had trusted me to deliver a presentation to none other than the CEO of a $10B company. Equal parts excitement and anxiety kept me glued to my laptop, practicing for hours. When I finally dragged myself to bed, I had grand plans for six hours of “quality sleep” that turned into six hours of "worrying about not getting enough sleep". Somewhere amidst imagining every possible disaster scenario, I fell asleep… and woke up to my worst one.
In sheer panic, I left my manager a hasty apology and booked the next flight out. Three hours after the meeting had started, I arrived at the client site bracing for the worst. My manager pulled me into a vacant room, and I was ready for the tongue-lashing of a lifetime.
Instead, he said this:
“Vivek, it’s okay that you missed your flight. Happens to the best of us. The client doesn’t care, and neither do I. But now that you’re here, I need your A-game. Can you bring it?”
That was it. No anger. No lecture. Just a clear ask: “Bring your best.”
And so I did. Energized by his calm, I walked into the room and delivered the presentation of my life. The meeting was a success, and by the end of the day, no one even remembered my dramatic start to the morning.
What I do remember, though, is the grace my manager showed me in that moment. He taught me two powerful lessons:
1. Mistakes don’t define you—how you recover from them does.
2. The way you treat someone when they stumble says more about your character than theirs.
So here’s to all the leaders out there who inspire us to show up, even after we’ve messed up. You remind us that we’re human - and that’s when we do our best work!

Comments
Post a Comment